Thursday, May 7, 2009

Manny Ramirez Suspended for 50 Games for Drug Violation

Manny Ramirez was suspended 50 games this afternoon after the MLB revealed that Ramirez had failed a recent drug test. Manny had this to say when responding to the suspension:

"Recently I saw a physician for a personal health issue. He gave me a medication, not a steroid, which he thought was OK to give me," Ramirez said. "Unfortunately, the medication was banned under our drug policy. Under the policy that mistake is now my responsibility. I have been advised not to say anything more for now."

Ramirez has waived his right to challange the suspension and will lose out on a substantial chunk of his $25 million salary. His return could be on I believe July 3rd.

This is a pretty big story if you ask me and it is more significant to me than the Alex Rodriguez steroids story. In February A-Rod was said to have used steroids while playing for the Texas Rangers from 2001 to 2003. Despite what has been written about him in a recent book, the fact that the steroids were confirmed in the past is what makes Manny's issue different. Manny is the first star player to be busted while being a huge peice of the puzzle for his team. I know Palmeiro was busted but he was on his downside then. Manny has been playing great starting when he was traded to the Dodgers and continuing through this season. So far he was hitting .348 with 6 HR's and 20 RBI's to help the Dodgers jump to the best record in baseball.

The commisioner's office did not say specifically what Ramirez's drug violation was about. I find it hard to believe that so many people who deny steroids all go to doctors that give them medication that has something illegal in it without knowing. Maybe doctors really don't know but it just seems sketchy to me. Anyway, Manny is done for 50 games and now we will find out how good Orlando Hudson, Andre Ethier, and the rest of the LA Dodgers really are.
Digg! Delicious Bookmark this on Delicious Blog search directory Blog Directory
 
Baseball Blog Directory Add to Technorati Favorites